Staying Healthy and Detoxing Naturally
Detoxing is vital in this toxic world.
For so many years, I focused simply on digestion because I do believe that good digestion leads to a healthy life.
But then one day I realized that in order to have good digestion, you must be detoxing properly. The light went off in my head.
Detoxing for better digestion is ideal because good digestion leads to less inflammation and less inflammation leads to less disease and injury.
Let me say it again: Decrease the inflammation and prevent injury and disease.
Hippocrates said it best, “All disease begins in the gut.”
So, if this is true and disease begins in the gut, also known as your digestive system, then having a healthy & strong digestion is key.
But let me share one secret: When the body is toxic, your digestive system is weak.
So even if you eat “clean” and only buy organic and hormone-free foods, you are still breathing toxicity in this world.
We live, eat, and breathe toxicity every day. Look around your home and think of:
...the products you use to clean your house
...the detergent you use to wash your dishes and launder your clothes
...the paint on your walls
...the dust on your rugs and the synthetic material it's made from
...the pesticides sprayed on your lawn
...the exterminator to get rid of bugs
And even if you are chemical-free in your home, is your makeup chemical-free? Are your perfumes and scented Victoria's Secret and Bath and Body Work lotions free of harmful chemicals?
Even if you are totally chemical-free and using makeup that is aluminum-free plus other non-toxic chemicals, we are still living and that means eating, breathing, and sleeping in a toxic environment.
Unless you feel that are ready to live in a bubble or a hyperbaric chamber, then it is time to wake up to what I call “daily detox.”
Now detox is not a curse word or anything to be scared about.
Instead, it is exciting to think about your body & cells actually functioning.
A detox is not about living on juices, water only, smoothies, or just salad or soup.
A detox is about lessening the toxic load in your body. As I say, “It's taking out the trash.”
See, when we are toxic our body cannot perform its job. The body cannot metabolize properly, detox properly, absorb nutrients and minerals, or stay hydrated.
It cannot rest, recover and repair itself after a hard workout or a long run. Instead, it has to work overtime to combat the extra stress from the toxin overload.
It is a vicious cycle.
See, detoxing is necessary to be healthy, happy, & free of disease. We all have some low-level inflammation because, again, we breathe but, even more, so we stress (a lot!) in this busy world.
So, every time we stress, we create acid in our body, and our body is forced to pull minerals to buffer the acid waste, and then our liver, lymph, and kidneys begin to work hard to filter out the toxic load.
But what happens when the body is tired and clogged?
When your digestive system is not working and cannot break down these foods, it cannot focus on getting RID of TOXINS, and that means you cannot get rid of bloat and fat and skin breakouts and all that jazz that keeps you tired.
Toxins > Inflammation > Weak Digestion >
- Difficult weight management
- Constipation and/or diarrhea
- Gas + bloating
- Headaches + migraines
- Low Energy
- Low sex drive
- Acne, psoriasis, and other skin issues
- Heartburn + acid reflux
- Moodiness, depression, and other emotional issues
- Frequent and repeat injuries
Get where I am going with all of this?
By detoxing, YOU will improve digestion and therefore free your body of inflammation and toxins.
The foundation of this detox is NOT to ever feel deprived or starved.
The goal is to help YOU do what I have learned to do in my own life: Learn how to EAT CLEAN and learn what foods are IRRITATING your body.
Eating clean foods is a way of life, not a diet.
So, we begin to eat whole foods that promote detox in a safe and natural way.
No, you do not have to only drink juices, or soups, or smoothies, or go on a cabbage or grapefruit-only diet. Instead, you need to eat foods that are not irritating your digestive system and clogging it up.
Is this making sense?
So here are my tips for staying healthy & detoxing naturally:
- Upon waking, drink warm or room water with lemon and 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar (if you can tolerate it) and add a dash of cinnamon or cayenne.
- Start your day by being positive. Write in a journal, meditate or find a daily affirmation that gets you fired up.
- Try getting quiet without yourself, even just for one minute, and say, “I release what does not serve me.” Hold your heart as you say this out loud and scream it if you want. This is not being "woo-woo", it is owning your power.
- Drink fresh, green juices or make your own green juice with 1 tbsp chlorophyll and lemon and lime and water.
- Aim for one meal that is super easy on your digestion per day. Try a smoothie, green juice, or soup to give that digestion a rest.
- Get moving & shaking. Yes, mindful exercise is one of the best ways to detox your body.
- Drink plenty of water & add lemon, lime, or grapefruit to flush the toxicity.
- Dry skin brushing is my favorite way to support the liver and get rid of those toxins
- Tongue Brushing.
- BE Happy & grateful for life.
Do not be afraid of detoxing. You can do this!
Hi, I'm Naomi
I help smart and savvy women who suffer from chronic stress, unexplained weight gain and burnout, breakthrough their healthy blind spots and relieve symptoms through natural healing with whole foods and by making lifestyle and environmental changes. Why feel tired when you can feel fired up and ready to go every single day?
I love running outdoors, connecting with like-minded people, and exploring the San Francisco Bay Area with my pup, Coco Pop.