Pick-Me-Up Snacks to Get You Through the Afternoon Slump
It's 2 pm, and you're already yawning and feeling exhausted.
Stop that trek to the breakroom vending machine. Put that Diet Coke / PSL / Red Bull - whatever your sugar-filled pick-me-up is down. They aren’t going to get you through your slump!
Who hasn't experienced that drained feeling halfway through the afternoon? You know, that moment when making it through the day feels virtually impossible?
According to the National Sleep Foundation, nearly half of the population report suffering through a daily afternoon slump. You know, when your energy and focus is challenged.
One of the most common reasons for afternoon fatigue is fluctuating blood sugar levels.
When too much sugar enters into your body at once, by either...
- Waiting too long to eat between meals
- High carbs or fatty foods
- Too much insulin is released causing am imbalance of sugar levels
When your blood sugar levels to rise and fall rapidly, you experience a quick burst of energy which is then followed by a brutal crash and burn.
And voila - there's your afternoon energy slump... yawn!
So how do get through?
Well, one way is by snacks. Snacks can be an important part of your day! Those extra 150-200 calories can save you!
Snacks bridge the gap between meals and stop that rumbling stomach when lunch and dinner are hours away. They keep your blood sugar stable and your hunger in check so that you are not grabbing a candy bar from the nearest vending machine or gorging everything in sight at your next meal.
Snacks will fuel your morning workout if you don't have time for a proper meal. Snacks will replenish your glycogen stores after you have finished that run and strength session. Snacks are a great way to get in extra whole foods to ensure that you are getting the correct nutrients for the day.
It’s important to pick the right snack at the right time, to keep energy levels up and bridge the gap correctly.
A snack made up of a complex carb, healthy fats, and clean protein will increase your energy levels for a longer period.
So, back to that afternoon slump.
It’s the time of day when another cup of coffee or quick sugary snack seems like the perfect way to carry you to the end of the day. Hold that thought!
With this snack list in hand and a little planning, you can quickly push through and run to the finish line. Don’t let that 3 o'clock slump take control of you. You have the power to take control of it!
Below is a list of my top ten favorite snacks to beat that slump.
Arm yourself with the ingredients and knowledge that you have the power to keep your hunger and energy in check all day!
Ten Snacks to Avoid the Afternoon Slump
1. A handful of raw unsalted nuts/homemade trail mix – the protein, fiber, and fat is a perfect snack combination
2. 2 cups of mixed raw veggie sticks + 2 tbsp of your favorite dip (hummus, tahini, pesto, etc.)
3. A hard-boiled egg, ¼ avocado, and tomato on a piece of sprouted Ezekiel toast or ½ an Ezekiel muffin
4. ½ cup organic plain Greek yogurt (or preferably a dairy-free option) with 1 tbsp nut butter, cinnamon, and ½ apple, sliced, OR mixed with 2 tbsp mixed nuts, seeds, and berries
5. Green juice – cucumber, kale, spinach, parsley, celery, lemon, ginger, and coconut oil
6. Smoothie – unsweetened dairy-free milk, ½ banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, protein powder, vanilla, cinnamon, hemp seeds, cacao powder, and ice
7. One apple, sliced, with 1 tbsp nut butter
8. Pepitas aka pumpkin seeds (it's pretty awesome toasted)
9. Chopped fruit salad with fresh mint and some almonds
10. Nori seaweed, canned salmon/tuna, avocado, spinach, and cucumber wrap
Which of these snacks will you try this week?!
Get even more ideas with the 40 On-the-Go Snacks list!
Hi I'm Naomi!
I help smart and savvy women who suffer from chronic stress, unexplained weight gain and burnout, breakthrough their healthy blind spots and relieve symptoms through natural healing with whole foods and by making lifestyle and environmental changes. Why feel tired when you can feel fired up and ready to go every single day?
I love running outdoors, connecting with like-minded people, and exploring the San Francisco Bay Area with my pup, Coco Pop.